Polish e-Invoice System (KSeF)
Entrepreneurs could become familiar with the Polish e-Invoice System (KSeF) as early as 2022. Until now, it has been an optional solution, but as the Ministry of Finance announces, as of July 1, 2024, business owners will be obliged to use it to manage cost invoices.
In Suncode we realize that for most companies, implementing an appropriate tool in this regard is quite a challenge. That’s why our Plus Workflow system has been ready for two-way data transfer from KSeF for months now, and our specialists will be happy to walk you through the entire process of implementing the new solution.
What is the Polish e-Invoice System?
The Polish e-Invoice System is a nationwide ICT system designed to issue and store structured invoices (e-invoices) in XML format.
KSeF was created to counter irregularities, for example, in VAT and income taxes. The Polish e-Invoice System is focused on streamlining the settlement of trade between businesses and securing the processed data.
It is worth noting that from July 1, 2024, KSeF will be a mandatory system for:
- Owners of companies appearing as active VAT payers;
- Owners of companies exempt from VAT;
- Taxpayers identified for a special EU procedure, VAT OSS (One-Stop Shop), who have a Polish Tax Identification Number.
What should you pay attention to?
It is worth noting that the Polish e-Invoice System does not have the advanced features that electronic document management systems offer. For this reason, it is worth keeping in mind the 2 most important aspects:
- The Polish e-Invoice System is used for the exchange of documents; it does not have built-in mechanisms for accepting invoices, adding attachments, or handling payments.
- The Polish e-Invoice System only controls the compliance of the invoice (XML file structure) with the established scheme (logical pattern); it does not verify the document for factual errors.
Therefore, it turns out to be necessary to have a comprehensive document flow system that not only improves communication with the Polish e-Invoice System but also verifies the data on the invoice and enables its efficient acceptance and posting.
Plus Workflow for the Polish e-Invoice System
Our Low-Code solution – Plus Workflow, is a comprehensive platform that enables the execution of various tasks. In light of changing regulations, actions were initiated in 2022 to adapt it for communication with the Polish e-Invoice System.
Currently, the Plus Workflow allows for the automatic retrieval of structured invoices from the Polish e-Invoice System, extracting information from them, and automatically registering them in the system. Thanks to this mechanism, the invoice is directed to the appropriate approval path (Workflow) and subsequently sent to the financial accounting system using the API or the Plus Workflow RPA robot.
Equally important, users can also automatically generate and send sales invoices to the Polish e-Invoice System directly from the Plus Workflow system.
By integrating the KSeF profile with Plus Workflow, the system can automatically download invoices in XML format. Importantly, the system reads the invoice and attaches its visualization in PDF format to the task form.
After selecting the “Download data from KSeF” button, the Plus Workflow system automatically loads information from the invoice into the form, eliminating the need for manual data entry.
Downloading structured documents from Plus Workflow is:
- Communication with KSeF via API;
- Authorization through a token generated on the platform;
- Downloading an invoice at set intervals is a scheduled task;
- Reading data from a structured XML file;
- Visualization of the invoice based on the mechanism provided by the KSeF platform;
- Mapping fields read from the XML file to fields in the electronic document repository of the Plus Workflow system.
The “Generate KSeF invoice” button is available in the task form of the Plus Workflow system. Selecting this button creates the appropriate document based on the data completed in the form and then allows you to send the document to the Polish e-Invoice System. The KSeF reference number is provided after the document is processed by the platform.
Generating and submitting structured documents with Plus Workflow involves:
- Communication with the KSeF platform via API;
- Authentication through a token generated on the platform;
- Generation of a structured XML file based on data entered in the Plus Workflow system or data downloaded from external systems;
- Handling the lack of verification of the issued invoice on the KSeF side;
- Handling the download of the UPO (Official Certificate of Receipt).
- Generating an invoice with a QR code for entities not covered by the KSeF obligation.
Benefits of using Plus Workflow for the Polish e-Invoice System:
- Elimination of duplicate invoices;
- Efficient data flow;
- Increased work efficiency;
- Ability to verify the invoice workflow path;
- Management of users’ permissions;
- There is no need to send invoices by mail or email;
- Automatic email notifications of new tasks in the system;
- Access to invoices and other documents from any location 24/7;
- Archiving documents electronically in secure system structures;
- Reduced number of errors in invoices due to their substantive verification in the system;
- Two-way data transfer between the system and ERP, finance, and accounting systems.